There comes a time when you realize that you have outgrown your first workspace. Mine was in the garage, limiting me to working out there for 8-9 months of the year.
When the winter set in, i decided to move the operation into the house. We have a fairly large family room in the basement, so i took over one half of that. As long as Pat can watch his soccer games on the giant-ass, big-screen TV he doesn’t care that he is surrounded by absolute chaos. I worked down there until last week, when I decided that I couldn’t take the clutter anymore or indeed the sports commentary, and decided to move everything up into the spare room. A room that I can close the door on.
I started by pushing the twin bed over to one wall, put a table on the other side of the room, repurposed some shelving I scavenged from other areas in the house and took the chair out of another bedroom. Ideally I would be sitting on an office chair so I can roll from one space to another and it will be more comfortable. That chair is as uncomfortable as it looks.
This worked for about a week. As you can see this is a fairly small room, measuring about 9×11 feet. So, since I had already made a start, I decided to go the whole hog and remove all traces of “bedroom”. First things first, get rid of the bedroom furniture. Fortunately my daughter-in-law Katie, was quite happy to take the twin-size bed off my hands for my grandson Kevin’s bedroom. Then I scavenged some more in the shed, the garage and under the stairs. It’s below freezing right now, so I pretty much froze my butt off, not to mention there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and I was carrying all this stuff by myself in very slippy conditions. I had visions of Pat coming home from work and finding me on the ground, frozen, but still clutching my treasure!
I started by clearing out the closet. Those cubbies will be full of mesh when I bring in the rest of it from the garage.
Once the bed was out of the room I could bring in all the extra shelves and another table.
This is everything that needs sealing right now. I made a “light-box” that I use for taking better pictures and it’s quite bulky, but it fits great under that table.
I also made the top shelving piece into a drying rack by angling the shelves. I’ll be on the look-out for a few more shelves to fit in there.
It took a few days to finally get it just the way I like it, and it will probably take another month before I have everything in it’s proper place but I think it was worth it.